Monterey christian dating
Built in three phases, the Spanish began construction of the Custom House in 1814, the Mexican government completed the center section in 1827, and the United States government finished the lower end in 1846.On 24 November 1818 Argentine corsair Hippolyte Bouchard landed 7 km (4.3 mi) away from the Presidio of Monterey in a hidden creek.Monterey became the capital of the "Province of Both Californias" in 1777, and the chapel was renamed the Royal Presidio Chapel.The original church was destroyed by fire in 1789 and replaced by the present sandstone structure. In 1840, the chapel was rededicated to the patronage of Saint Charles Borromeo.
The party continued north as far as San Francisco Bay before turning back.
Serra's missionary aims soon came into conflict with Fages and the soldiers, and he moved the mission to Carmel the following year to gain greater independence from Fages.
The existing wood and adobe building became the chapel for the Presidio.
The fort resisted ineffectively, and after an hour of combat the Argentine flag flew over it.
The Argentines took the city for six days, during which time they stole the cattle and burned the fort, the artillery headquarters, the governor's residence and the Spanish houses. Mexico gained independence from Spain in 1821, but the civil and religious institutions of Alta California remained much the same until the 1830s, when the secularization of the missions converted most of the mission pasture lands into private land grant ranchos.